Friday, July 22, 2011

Girl's camp...are you kidding me???

In May I was asked to be the Girl's Camp Director in our ward. I have been camp director or involved in Stake Camps many times but this was a surprise. Especially as I only had several weeks to get ready and three of those weeks I would be in China. I said yes and I am so glad that I did. It was a blast. 30 girls came and 8 Women. 
 Our camp theme was Treasure Island. The Stake theme was "Sailing Home". The themes were fun to work with. We had this yummy Treasure Chest cake for dessert the first night in camp. 
 I dug out my sewing machine and whipped up a Treasure Island flag with the masts representing each of the Young Women Value colors. 
 Nothing like a hot dog cooked over the campfire. (I will never know). 
 I have to say we had some great talent in our camp. The impromptu skit was excellent and so hilarious. 
 The weather was perfect. We went on a hike to Packsaddle Lake which was beautiful. 
 Lori Prince and I showed up in our cowgirl hats. 
 Check out the Tetons behind the girls. I told them they were in one of the most beautiful places on earth. 
 There is a rope swing at the lake which was barely above freezing. You would not believe how many of the girls landed in the water in their clothes. 

 We had our share of silliness. 
 We had fearless Priesthood leaders. 
 I had the girls make bracelets but they had to earn the charms. They earned them for everything they did at camp. In their rare spare time they fastened the charms to their bracelets. It was a hit. 
 Did I mention the silliness? Someone (turned out to be Sarah the YW President) snuck rubber critters into our sleeping bags etc. 
 When you go on a cruise they usually have dress up night. So did we. It was really fun. I had a great hat made in Young Woman Value colors to wear to our dress up dinner. 
 Everyone tried the hat on. My week at Treasure Island Camp was a treasure. So glad I was able to go. 

3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Fun times!
Funny leaders!

MZB said...

Can't think of a better camp director! Hope our reunion is as much fun. My kids can't wait!

Rachel said...

Haha! Love the pic of Sherie. And I was shocked to see some of those girls. I thought they were still in nursery....